the Art of Angela Edmonds
Angela considers herself an artist with many hats. She is a children's book illustrator, character designer, wildlife oil painter, and a visual development artist.
She believes that immersing herself into different areas of art generates growth as an artist. By working with different media platforms, and on various types of projects, allows her to keep a fresh point of view and expand her creativity. Whether painting digitally on a Cintiq or painting in oil on canvas at the easel, she strives to tell stories and make impressions with her artwork. The techniques may differ, but the fundamental skills of strong drawing, composition, color, and story are transferable between all mediums.
"I want to create fun and appealing art that can be enjoyed by everyone." -Angela Edmonds
Angela Edmonds grew up in the bush of Alaska, rural Minnesota, and Anchorage, Alaska. This is where she spent her time studying and drawing animals. She received her BA in Fine Arts from California Institute of the Arts. She started her career as a layout artist for Walt Disney Feature Animation and uses her skills as a film maker in her paintings. She places her subject in the frame as if she were shooting a scene in a movie. This creates drama and excitement in each piece. The values of most of her paintings are strong, when photographed in black and white they appear with as much drama as if they were in color.
Angela is an impressionist painter of animals. Her bold values, intense colors, strong poses, and unique observation of her subjects set her apart.
"I want my paintings to capture the focus of the room. I want them to be the star and grab the viewer's eye. My paintings are loose to let the viewer interpret what they see, and give the impression the animals may be alive." Angela says.
Angela has immersed herself in her passion with animals. She has lived on a large ranch, shown horses, worked with animals, and has spent her life studying and drawing them. Today you can find her with her husband and menagerie of animals living in Acton California.
Most of her paintings are thick with paint and texture, which gives an air of old world with a modern twist by applying bright and surprising color.
"I love laying the paint. I cannot wait to take a plain white canvas and direct the evolution. Once I start a painting, I usually don't stop until the piece is almost complete. Sometimes I feel like I am pulling the creature out of the canvas and watching them come to life. The painting is complete when the animals appear to breathe. My subject will live forever and play out their lives every day in my paint." -Angela Edmonds
Angela has also been illustrating children’s books and creating visual development art and character design for independent companies. She is also writing and illustrating her own children’s books.
Skills and Positions Held
Visual Development Artist
Freelance Illustrator, Children's Book Illustrator, Visual Development Artist, Character Designer
Edmonds Studios Animation
January 2009 – Present (6 years 8 months)Los Angeles Area
* Visual Development - Various short and feature films in development
* Illustrator - Freelance for multiple companies
* Illustrator / writer - Children's books
* Story Artist - Various short and feature films in development
* Character Designer - Various short and feature films in development
Animal Fine Artist, Original Oil on Canvas
Edmonds Ranch Art
1995 – Present / Acton, CA
* Animal Impressionist Painter
* Wildlife and Ranch Life oil paintings
September 2013 – September 2014 (1 year 1 month)Glendale, CA
* Children's Book Illustrations
* Sight Word Poem Illustrations for ABC Mouse
Art Director, Co-Director, Character Designer, Storyboard Artist, Illustrator
Edmonds Studios Animation
2003 – 2009 / Red Bluff, CA
Edmonds Studios Animation is a pre-production / production studio creating animation for commercials, bumpers, promos, interstitial, shorts, specials, and industrial films for film and TV. It provides all or parts of a project including storyboards, character design, animation, layout, music, voice-overs, final color and compositing.
* Art Director, Storyboard Artist, Designer – Commercials, Bumpers, Interstitials for PBS Kids, Mattel, General Mills through multiple companies including Curious Pictures, Calabash Animation, DisneyToon Studios, Fallon Worldwide, Little Airplane Productions, Psyop, and Walt Disney Animation Studios.
* Co-Director, Art Director, Storyboard Artist, Designer – Television Commercials for Northern CA companies including St. Elizabeth Community Hospital, Auto Doctor, Tuscan Brewing Company, and Turtle Bay Exploration Park.
Walt Disney Animation Studios
1990 – 1992 / Burbank, CA
* Cinematography and background design for Disney's classic animated feature Beauty and the Beast. All layouts were hand drawn emphasizing strong composition, value, draftsmanship, and clarity for film.
California Institute of the Arts,
BA in Fine Arts
Member of Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators
Member of Women Artist of the West
Member of Red Bluff Artists Association
Member of Red Bluff Artists Online
Red Bluff Art Gallery, Red Bluff, CA
The Highland Art Center, Weaverville, CA